Banner image


James Crawley


Posted Saturday, February 2nd 2019

'Very happy' Weimann back on the scoresheet

Andreas Weimann’s wait for another goal finally came to an end this afternoon, thanks to his header just 42 seconds into the second half against Swansea City.

It's the Austrian forward's first goal since August, which ironically came against the Swans.

This time, the forward created himself space in the penalty area and connected with Jamie Paterson’s cross with a guided header beyond the reach of the Swansea keeper.

“Pato did great down the left and cut it back. I got in front of the defender, tried to guide it in and luckily it went in,” Weimann said.

He had been ruled out for offside earlier in the first half, for the second league game in a row following the controversial decision against Nottingham Forest.

“At the time I thought I may have been offside and when I saw it back at half-time I was a bit angry. Luckily I scored straight after half-time so I was happy,” he said.

City came flying out of the traps after the break, with Weimann’s goal coming so quickly after the break, before Callum O’Dowda put extra daylight between the sides with City’s second goal of the game.

When asked what was said at half-time, Weimann replied: “He (Lee Johnson) was quite happy with the first half. We had got into some great positions, we just had to take more care in the final third and we did that with the two goals.”

He continued: “It was really good. Our confidence is really high at the moment. The way we’re defending, we look solid and dangerous on the counter attack. Our patterns and the way we go forward are coming into fruition and it’s looking good at the minute.

“We’re all confident but we know Blackburn away is another tough game. If we defend as a team as we have done then I can’t see why we can’t go there and keep the run going.”

The Robins travel to face Rovers next Saturday (February 9th, 3pm KO) on the back of 13 games unbeaten in all competitions.

Get your tickets