Banner image

Robins rewind: 2014/15 season review part two

City made a flying start to life in the 2014/15 season, but could they back up that early form?

The simple answer was yes as Steve Cotterill's men carried on their unbeaten league form from August.


The goals came flooding in too, with 14 goals scored in five games in September; in fact City scored three goals in all bar one match, a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe United.

Aden Flint and Greg Cunningham dealt the damage that day, though the newly promoted Iron were no pushover. They did see the post prevent them from taking a first-half lead before Flint headed home from Luke Freeman's corner seven minutes after the restart and Cunningham finished off a neat move.

City would make it three consecutive wins, a second in a row at home too, in a 3-0 win over Doncaster Rovers the following Saturday. It was a result which saw the Robins soar top of League One, kick-started through Aaron Wilbraham's fifth goal of the season. Mark Little and Kieran Agard were also on the scoresheet in a comprehensive victory, though the visitors showed some questionable defending and suffered with ten men after Harry Forresters' dismissal in the second half.

Another routine victory came on the road to Port Vale with Wilbraham's brace and another Flint header helped Cotterill's side go four points clear at the top.

City were now chasing five consecutive victories and it certainly looked on the cards away to Fleetwood Town. That being said, City had trailed for ten first-half minutes after Josh Morris’ 25-yard daisy cutter flew past Frank Fielding before Agard struck the equaliser on 32 minutes. Agard was on target again three minutes after the break, while Wilbraham added another close-range finish to his collection almost straightaway to extend the lead. 

But substitute Jamie Proctor headed Fleetwood a lifeline just after the hour mark before Stephen Dobbie curled a stunning equaliser into the far corner with just a minute to go.

The Robins couldn't be too disappointed but back they came to round off the month with three points in a 3-2 home win over promotion-chasers MK Dons.

And it wasn't an easy afternoon in front of a sold-out Ashton Gate, in a match described as a rollercoaster of emotions between the top two.


The home side had looked to be cruising towards three points courtesy of Agard’s first-half brace but the visitors responded after the break to peg City back, pulling a goal back through Dean Bowditch before a certain Benik Afobe profited from a misunderstanding between Wade Elliott and Fielding. 

However, that was far from the end of the drama as skipper Elliott went from zero to hero in the space of seconds, running clear on goal to slot the winner via the inside of the far post and send a bumper home crowd home celebrating.

City were scoring for fun, were unbeaten at the top of the table after ten games and headed into October when their Johnstone's Paint Trophy run was about to kick-off...