Banner image

Robins rewind: 2014/15 season review part three

City were unbeaten in League One as the campaign rolled into October and they weren’t about to come unstuck either.

The Robins were well and truly flying: top of the table, a goal difference of 12 and three points ahead of local rivals Swindon Town. Steve Cotterill’s men had also scored in all bar one league game thus far and were about to carry on their impressive goalscoring form.

October - onwards and upwards

Off the back of that nervy win over MK Dons – who had featured the likes of Benik Afobe and Dele Alli – City kicked off the new month with a trip to Walsall where three points were narrowly avoided in a 1-1 draw.

City were unchanged for the seventh successive time and while they weren’t pretty on this occasion, young Joe Bryan had the Robins ahead after just 11 minutes.

And it seemed to be enough as City settled into a rhythm but saw chances go amiss, while the Saddlers took their time to get going. But it was hard work in the second half from City and Walsall snatched the late leveller when Romaine Sawyers struck a sweet first-time shot into the corner.

A midweek trip to Whaddon Road followed as City began what would be their silverware-winning Johnstone’s Paint Trophy campaign away to Cheltenham Town. Korey Smith scored a brace – his second a stunning late solo effort - after Wes Burns’ opener, while Terry Gornell struck for the hosts.


Jordan Wynter, now at Dartford, came on as a late substitute to feature against Cheltenham, the team he had been on loan at earlier in the season. Wynter would go on to re-join the Gloucestershire side in a permanent deal in February.

With their spot in the JPT third round confirmed, City returned to Ashton Gate where they would secure a successive 3-2 home win in League One. Chesterfield were the opponents this time with the in-form Eoin Doyle, who twice pegged City back to grab his 15th goal for the campaign, but Burns was well placed to snatch the points with a last-gasp half-volley.


Cotterill’s side scored three goals yet again as they brushed aside Coventry City. Marlon Pack, on his 60th club appearance, scored early with Kieran Agard putting City 2-0 up by half-time. Half-time boos rang out for the lacklustre Sky Blues who would halve the deficit, only for Scott Wagstaff to put the result beyond doubt with his first goal of the season late on.

But City would take just two points from a possible six in their last two games of the month. Both were 2-2 draws, starting at home against Bradford City.

Aden Flint scored early and late in this game – the second of which looked like being a winner until Christopher Routis fired an even later equaliser four minutes from time. Billy Clarke had scored the earlier leveller as the Robins were held to a share of the spoils at home for the first time since August.

They rounded off October away to Barnsley and all seemed to be going to plan when Luke Ayling headed them in front. However, the Tykes were transformed after the break and levelled the scores through Sam Winnall before Conor Hourihane's penalty turned the game on its head.

Thankfully, a 20-yard rocket from Aaron Wilbraham, completely out of character with his previous eight goals for the season albeit after some scrappy play, kept City's invincible streak intact for now. Still they sat top of League One, now two points clear of Preston North End with 33 points after 15 games played heading into November.