Banner image

Report: Yeovil Town 1-0 Bristol City

Bristol City were denied an unbeaten pre-season by Max Mellason’s stoppage time winner at Huish Park.

Steve Cotterill resisted the urge to make any changes to his starting line-up throughout the entire 90 minutes – a rare feat for a friendly fixture – but no breakthrough was forthcoming until Mellason was left unopposed to convert a low cross from six yards with only seconds to play.

Jonathan Kodjia’s runs in behind would keep the Yeovil backline busy in the opening exchanges, with the Frenchman twice latching on to balls over the top from Derrick Williams inside the first 15 minutes.

After getting the ball stuck under his feet from the first of those, Kodjia made better use of the next one, taking a sure first touch before teeing up Joe Bryan for a right-footed shot that just whistled past the post.

The hosts enjoyed a brighter spell midway through the first half, but Mark Beck’s deflected shot into the side-netting was the closest they came to troubling Frank Fielding.

Meanwhile, Bryan was involved again at the other end in similar fashion to City’s previous close shave.

This time the Bristolian turned supplier with a low cross into the feet of Wilbraham, who laid the ball back for Marlon Pack to fire wide from 25 yards.

After a first period short on clear chances, both sides enjoyed a sight of goal within minutes of the restart.

Yeovil had the first of them, when Jamie Burrows swivelled to drill a low shot just a couple of yards wide, before Wilbraham met Luke Ayling’s cross to the far post with a downward header that was even closer.

Suddenly there was a greater tempo about the game, as Fielding was finally called upon to parry Marc Laird’s daisy-cutter, while Wilbraham sent a looping header against the crossbar from a Pack corner.

Cotterill would resist the urge to turn to his bench, with Mark Little almost helping himself to a second goal in two games in completing 90 minutes for the first time since his comeback.

Former Huish Park loan pair Luke Freeman and Korey Smith linked up well on the edge of the box before finding Kodjia, who turned smartly and helped the ball on to Little in one movement, paving the way for the defender to test goalkeeper Chris Weale at his near post.

There was still time for Kodjia to threaten once more, cleverly working an angle having picked up possession down on the byeline and shooting inches wide of Weale’s right-hand upright, before substitute Mellason struck the decisive blow in stoppage time.

Bristol City: Fielding, Ayling, Flint, Williams, Little, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Bryan, Wilbraham, Kodjia. Subs not used: O'Leary, El-Abd, Kelly, Harper, Reid, Burns.

Get priority and discounts on tickets at Ashton Gate this season - click here to become a Forever Bristol member for just £20. Forever Bristol. Forever loyal.