Banner image

Report: Swansea City 1-3 Bristol City

Nigel Pearson guided his side to three points on his managerial debut with the club, as the Robins fought from behind to win 3-1 against Swansea City.

After a goalless first half, they fell behind to an Andre Ayew penalty following a Kasey Palmer handball.

But Nahki Wells scored his second goal in as many games to draw City level, before Palmer made up for his earlier error with a sublime goal direct from a corner.

City looked to have done enough to hold the Swans at bay but substitute Antoine Semenyo added to the scoreline with his first league goal for the Robins, as he closed down Freddie Woodman’s clearance and watched on as the ball looped back into the open net.

There were jubilant scenes to follow as the team huddled and celebrated the three points in front of the dugout minutes after the full-time whistle!

Pearson named an unchanged XI as City went in search of back-to-back wins on the road. Academy players Alex Scott and Tommy Conway were added to the matchday squad for the first time as they were named on the bench, however Jamie Paterson (sore groin) would miss out.

It was a tough first half for City as Swansea boasted the majority of possession, but they couldn’t break through Dan Bentley between the sticks. The goalkeeper was in top form, first tipping away a near-post strike from Jamal Lowe before the forward slipped in a ball for Yan Dhanda who was thwarted by the big frame of Bentley.

Connor Roberts then produced a teasing cross which somehow nobody in white could squeeze in but the danger wasn’t over as the Swans came forward with another attacking wave. This time Ayew found himself in the mix and his touch allowed Ben Cabango to attempt a header, but he couldn’t steer the ball over the line as Adrian Mariappa positioned himself well to block.

With half-time approaching Ryley Towler had had a busy afternoon and having already been cautioned, would be replaced by Steven Sessegnon. There were words of encouragement for the young left-back as he departed the pitch, on another occasion for the Academy product to learn from the experience.

City had so far been up against it but looked more energetic and on the front foot for the second half, and within three minutes of the restart Tyreeq Bakinson managed a shot on goal but couldn’t keep the ball down.

But for all of their defensive efforts, Swansea broke the deadlock from the penalty spot. Handball was awarded as Palmer looked to cushion a cross-field ball aimed at Jake Bidwell but his interception was judged to have included his arm by referee Keith Stroud. Up stepped Ayew with the resulting spot-kick whose stuttered run wouldn’t fool Bentley, who dived the right way, but his penalty was well placed into the bottom right corner.

The Robins soon found their equaliser and it came after great play from Vyner. He intercepted a loose ball and continued to chase it down, then beating Marc Guehi before playing the ball across the box. His cross was a good one and it found the advancing Wells who arrived on time to fire the ball low into the net.

The goal gave Pearson’s side a bit of a boost as Zyner advanced forward again and forced a low save from Woodman.

At the other end, Bidwell looked to steer a header back across goal aimed at Guehi but Tomas Kalas positioned himself well to clear and Connor Hourihane tried his luck from range but it proved a comfortable catch for Bentley.

But with ten minutes to go, City were ahead in spectacular fashion as the goal came direct from Palmer’s corner. Against the club he played for on loan at the start of the campaign, Palmer’s delivery had the curl to find the far corner of the net, leaving Woodman helpless as it sailed into the back of the net!

With minutes remaining Palmer earned a round of applause as Semenyo replaced him, and the substitute almost grabbed an assist for Wells who poked the ball wide after Ayew had swivelled on the edge of the area but fired wide himself.

However, the game was put to bed as the 97th minute ticked by. It came after Woodman, upon receiving a pass from Jay Fulton, was closed down by Semenyo and the ball ricocheted off the forward into the open net.

There was little time for the Swans to spirit the latest of comebacks and so City would record back-to-back wins in the Sky Bet Championship for the first time since November.