Banner image

Report: Leicester City 2-0 Bristol City

City were soundly beaten by the new npower Championship leaders at King Power Stadium.

Derek McInnes’ side were well in the game until Richard Foster’s own goal on 74 minutes, but in truth hardly threatened to blemish a Leicester clean sheet throughout.

David Nugent’s opener after 19 minutes was deserved, and the deadlock may well have been broken earlier but for a couple of fine saves from City keeper Tom Heaton.

McInnes made three changes to his side held to a 1-1 draw by Millwall at Ashton Gate in midweek.

Jody Morris was handed his first league start for the Robins in midfield, while Louis Carey and Ryan Taylor were also recalled at the expense of Mark Wilson and Steven Davies.

Facing the Foxes was always going to be a tough test on the back of four straight wins for the hosts, but City nearly raced into an unlikely lead inside 30 seconds, as Albert Adomah’s left-wing cross was glanced goalwards by Sam Baldock but straight at Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester were soon on the front foot, forcing two saves from Heaton in the first eight minutes, first with his foot to deny right-back Liam Moore, before the slightest fingertip diverted Lloyd Dyer’s rasping drive into the sidenetting.

Next to go close was the lively French winger Anthony Knockaert, whose low free kick also needed a touch from City’s number one, while at the other end Adomah let fly with a skidding shot which veered wide.

Knockaert was growing more and more influential, and his cross should really have set up Nugent for the opener on 19 minutes, only for the striker to head over the bar from inside the six-yard box.

But within 60 seconds Nugent was on the scoresheet, racing on to Jamie Vardy’s pass to brush aside Liam Fontaine and finish smartly into the bottom corner.

Leicester were well in control and comfortably held their lead until the interval without ever really threatening to extend it.

Knockaert and Nugent both brought routine stops out of Heaton, before another speculative Adomah strike knocked big defender Wes Morgan clean off his feet on its way behind for a corner.

The pattern continued into the second half, with City having to be content with the occasional foray into home territory – not to mention indebted to the recovery pace of Foster, who got back to get his big toe to what looked like a certain Knockaert goal.

Fontaine provided a brief scare from Leicester’s point of view with a stooping header wide from Morris’ corner, but the Foxes soon had their elusive second.

Good work down the left from Andy King culminated in a cross hung up towards the back post. With Heaton stranded, Foster had to intervene to prevent a tap-in but only succeeded in finding his own net 16 minutes from time.

McInnes introduced Davies and Paul Anderson in an attempt to force a grandstand finish, but the untroubled hosts were full value for another victory and were only denied a late third by a stunning Heaton save to deny Knockaert.