Banner image

Report: Guernsey FC 0-1 Bristol City

City saw off a plucky and determined Guernsey FC to kick-off pre-season with victory at Footes Lane.

Bobby Reid’s 36th minute goal proved the decisive moment of a friendly dominated by the Sky Bet Championship side.

However, had it not been for the efforts of Josh Addison in the home goal, the score would have been as one-sided as the possession statistics.


City were without several players; internationals Famara Diedhiou, Bailey Wright and Hordur Magnusson all rested, plus Lee Tomlin, Gary O’Neil, Matty Taylor and Jojo Wollacott absent through injury.

Lee Johnson was still able to field a different outfield ten in each half, with only Max O’Leary completing 90 minutes between the sticks.

But it was Addison in the other goal who proved the star of the show. He kept out Reid’s downward header from point-blank range and continued to frustrate the visitors, who dominated possession throughout.

Addison held on to another effort from Reid soon after, before diving acrobatically to keep out a looping attempt from Jens Hegeler – who operated from centre-back.

The deadlock-breaking goal arrived nine minutes before half-time when Reid latched on to a long pass from Korey Smith. The midfielder’s neat first touch actually took him around Addison, who had come rushing out, leaving a simple finish into an unguarded net.

The Green Lions keeper used his legs to keep out another Reid attempt on the angle and then saved with his fingertips as Josh Brownhill sent a curling shot towards the far corner.


City changed personnel at the break, but Addison continued to impress.

Marlon Pack’s flicked pass picked out Joe Bryan in the area but his low drive from an acute angle was kicked away.

Shawn McCoulsky, often so deadly from close range, twice missed the target from Jonny Smith crosses – and the former Wrexham winger stung the palms of Addison himself with a powerful shot on 70 minutes.

Moments later home fans were hopeful as a mix up at the back presented Guernsey substitute Paris Pereira with a chance of glory. The youngster took aim but sent his effort – the home side’s first of the game – straight at O’Leary.

Freddie Hinds fires just over the top
Freddie Hinds lifts a shot narrowly over the crossbar

Addison parried out a swerving attempt from Bryan, before his defence came to his aid, hacking clear before McCoulsky could tuck in the rebound.

The Green Lions keeper saved the best to last, somehow keeping out a goalbound Aden Flint header at the death, pushing it on to the crossbar.

Bristol City: O'Leary, Pisano (Moore 46), Hegeler (Flint 46), Pierre (Vyner 46), Kelly (Bryan 46), O'Dowda (J.Smith 46), K.Smith (De Girolamo 46), Brownhill (Pack 46), Paterson (Golbourne 46), Reid (McCoulsky 46), Djuric (Hinds 46).

Attendance: 933.