Banner image


James Crawley


Posted Monday, August 20th 2018

Report: City Under-23s 5-0 Sheffield Wednesday Under-23s

City breezed to a confident 5-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday, thanks to a solid second-half display at Ashton Gate.

Luke Williams' squad looked much improved after the break in this Professional Development League fixture, when all five of their goals came including a brace from Opi Edwards.

He grabbed two goals in quick succession to begin the rout, before Rory Holden added the third. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans smashed home the fourth and Jake Andrews slotted in goal number five in stoppage time.

Williams' young side were looking to bounce back from their opening day defeat at Bolton Wanderers, seven days ago and today's visitors certainly started on top.

City keeper Alhaji Sesay was alert to keep out a long-range effort from Jack Stobbs before the young Owls had a goal disallowed. Preslav Borvkov struck the post as he met Joe West's free kick, before tapping in the rebound but the flag had already gone up for offside.

Sesay then had to be alert when at full stretch he tipped a deep cross away for a corner, as the ball threatened to sneak in at the far post while at the other end, Holden and Andrews couldn't keep their respective efforts low enough.

But City were all guns blazing after the break, albeit they had to survive a penalty scare shortly after the restart. Borvkov raced through on goal and Sesay dived in at his feet when the Owls striker went to ground but the referee pointed for a corner.

City took the lead minutes later. Andrews on the right-side pinged a fantastic diagnoal ball across the field, where Edwards took the ball under control. He motored forward before flashing a shot beyond Cameron McCulloch in the Wednesday goal.

And they were 2-0 up just minutes later when Janneh put McCulloch under pressure from a backpass. The keeper's kick out was weak, falling to the waiting Edwards on the edge of the box, and the winger blasted the ball into the goal.

Striker Janneh played his part in the third goal too as he leapt to challenge a header. He made good contact, forcing the keeper into a decent strong-handed save but there was Holden to nod in the rebound.

West fired over from a tightening anlge before Sesay tipped over a shot from the overlapping Stobb's effort.

But City made it 4-0 when Janneh's header from a corner was deflected into the path of Lemonheigh-Evans. The midfielder needed only one touch to volley the ball on the turn.

And Andrews rounded off an impressive display after latching on to Holden's through ball. He made himself the overlapping option down the City right and cooly slotted the ball first-time beyond the keeper.

City: Sesay, Ali (Richards), Pring, Lemonheigh-Evans, Webb, Harrison, Edwards, Morrell, Janneh (Day), Holden, Andrews. Subs: Carey, Turner-Williams, Rees.