• English Football League - Championship
  • Thursday, December 26th 2019
  • The Valley
Club Badge Charlton Athletic 3
Club Badge Bristol City 2

Match Report

James Crawley

James Crawley reports from The Valley

Posted Thursday, December 26th 2019

Banner image

Report: Charlton Athletic 3-2 Bristol City

City’s second-half efforts proved in vain as Charlton Athletic battled back from behind to seal a 3-2 win at the Valley.

Macauley Bonne’s lob gave the hosts the lead in the Boxing Day encounter, before substitute Niclas Eliasson assisted Andreas Weimann’s equaliser and delivered himself to put the fixture in City’s favour.

However, Lee Bowyer’s side battled back through Bonne’s close-range finish and Alfie Doughty bundled the ball over the line late on.

Lee Johnson made two changes - both in midfield – with Ádám Nagy and Han-Noah Massengo back in central areas which meant Callum O'Dowda and Korey Smith would be named the substitutes, as was Dasilva who has recovered from an injury suffered on the opening day of the season.

City began brightly, enjoying spells of possession with Charlton pegged back in their own half, particularly in the earlier stages of the first half.

Famara Diédhiou saw the best sight of goal, fizzing a shot not far wide after a gliding run forward from Taylor Moore, while at the other end, Ashley Williams got tight to Bonne to block a shot and force a corner.

Albie Morgan and Diédhiou would both go close again though neither goalkeeper had really been tested with half an hour played, before the hosts began to dominate the play in a somewhat scrappy affair.

Moore would be next to man-mark Lyle Taylor and block a shot, before Naby Sarr sent a glancing header not far wide and Tomas Kalas was quick to block Bonne after an inviting cross from former Robin Adam Matthews.

But the Addicks would take a half-time lead with Bonne latching on to a Morgan through ball, before lofting the ball over the advancing Bentley.

A double change at the break introduced Dasilva and Eliasson, with Tommy Rowe and Jack Hunt switched, respectively.

And it was an impact change with Eliasson grabbing his ninth assist of the season. His teasing cross was perfect for Weimann, whose glancing header nestled into the far corner within the first minute of the restart.

Charlton would hit the crossbar when Morgan’s long-range free kick was diverted on to the woodwork, but City would survive and on the hour-mark made them pay.

On-field captain Josh Brownhill was involved, receiving the ball in space and finding Nagy to his left. The midfielder would slide the ball in behind the host’s defence and Eliasson was on to the ball in a flash, nutmegging Dillon Phillips from close range in front of the 1,200 traveling supporters.

City narrowly missed out on a third goal four minutes later when Brownhill stung the palms of Phillips, with the rebound pinging off Tom Lockyer and narrowly avoiding the goal!

To their credit City had deserved to be ahead by their second-half performance up to this point, but with a little over 15 minutes of regular time remaining, a mistake at the back proved costly.

It came from a flick on by forward Taylor, with Kalas up against Bonne. The City defender looked to control the ball with his head but was unable to either clear it or get enough on the ball to pass it back to Bentley, and Bonne showed too much strength, before firing the ball high into the net.

But minutes later it was three for the Addicks, despite the best efforts of Bentley. Bonne produced a low ball across the City box, which Doughty steered goalwards. Bentley made the initial save but the Charlton man was quick to bundle in the rebound from just yards out.

O’Dowda’s introduction saw Massengo make way in the aftermath of the goal but despite a stoppage-time header on target from Weimann, City couldn’t force a late equaliser.

Johnson’s men host Luton Town on Sunday, their final match of the calendar year.

Back the boys in BS3

Charlton Athletic

Bonne (40') , Bonne (77') , Doughty (82')
Conor Gallagher, Albie Morgan, Alfie Doughty

Bristol City

Weimann (46') , Eliasson (60')
Jack Hunt, Han-Noah Massengo, Tommy Rowe
  • KO: 3PM
  • Att: 18058
  • Venue: The Valley
  • Ref: Keith Stroud

Charlton Athletic

  • 1 Dillon Phillips
  • 15 Darren Pratley
  • 5 Tom Lockyer
  • 23 Naby Sarr
  • 11 Conor Gallagher
  • 19 Albie Morgan
  • 4 Adedeji Oshilaja
  • 2 Adam Matthews
  • 45 Alfie Doughty
  • 9 Lyle Taylor
  • 17 Macauley Bonne


  • 3 Ben Purrington
  • 16 Joe Ledley
  • 33 Ben Dempsey
  • 6 Jason Pearce
  • 20 Chris Solly
  • 44 Josh Davison
  • 30 Ashley Maynard-Brewer

Bristol City

  • 1 Daniel Bentley
  • 22 Tomas Kalas
  • 23 Taylor Moore
  • 29 Ashley Williams
  • 4 Ádám Nagy
  • 2 Jack Hunt
  • 42 Han-Noah Massengo
  • 8 Josh Brownhill
  • 25 Tommy Rowe
  • 14 Andreas Weimann
  • 9 Famara Diédhiou


  • 18 Antoine Semenyo
  • 19 Niclas Eliasson
  • 3 Jay Dasilva
  • 11 Callum O'Dowda
  • 7 Korey Smith
  • 5 Bailey Wright
  • 13 Rene Gilmartin

Match Overview


Charlton Athletic

  • Alfie Doughty
  • ,
  • Macauley Bonne (2)

Bristol City

  • Andreas Weimann
  • ,
  • Niclas Eliasson

Line Up

Charlton Athletic

  • Phillips, Pratley, Lockyer, Naby Sarr, Gallagher, Morgan, Adedeji Oshilaja, Matthews, Doughty, Taylor, Bonne

Bristol City

  • Bentley, Kalas, Moore, Williams, Ádám Nagy, Hunt, Massengo, Brownhill, Rowe, Weimann, Diédhiou