Banner image

Report: Bristol City Women 3-2 Yeovil Town Ladies

Bristol City Women made a winning start to their FA WSL2 campaign with an entertaining 3-2 victory over Yeovil Town Ladies at Stoke Gifford Stadium.

The Vixens stormed into a three-goal lead shortly after the interval when Rosella Ayane fired her second of the game, adding to her first-half opener and a well-taken strike from player of the match Millie Farrow.

City were cruising, but the visitors fought back to set up a tense finish through Atlanta Primus’ penalty and Nicola Cousins’ scrappy late second.

Steph Williams spurned a golden chance to level the scores in the dying minutes as Willie Kirk’s side hung on to avenge their FA Cup defeat by the same opponents.

A tentative start to the season opener saw chances at a premium for both sides in the early exchanges.

Set-pieces came and went without either goalkeeper being forced to make a save, but the game was lit up by a fine move down the City left on the half hour.

The Vixens’ on-loan Chelsea trio combined to good effect, as Jodie Brett found Farrow, who surged to the byeline and laid the ball on a plate for Ayane to convert from point-blank range.

There was a heart-in-mouth moment for the hosts soon after as City survived a penalty appeal, but seven minutes later the lead was doubled.

The lively Farrow was clinical in the box when the ball was played in from the right, taking a touch and drilling a low shot into the net from 15 yards.

Kirk’s team were on course for a perfect start to the new campaign and showed no signs of slowing down after half-time.

Ayane was on target with her second of the game, finding the bottom corner from the edge of the box after her initial shot was blocked.

But again the Vixens played with fire straight after scoring and this time got burned. When a Yeovil attacker squeezed between two defenders and went to ground, referee Sarah Garratt did not hesitate in pointing to the spot.

Primus duly did the honours with minimal fuss, slamming the ball straight down the middle from 12 yards to hand the visitors a lifeline.

City keeper Hannah Reid had been a virtual spectator but suddenly Yeovil had their tails up and Reid was twice called upon in quick succession to preserve the two-goal advantage, making a crucial stop with her legs before stooping to field a low shot down by her near post.

The Glovers were growing in belief and set up a nervy last ten minutes when Cousins bundled home at the far post after good work down the left from Sarah Wiltshire.

There was still time for Williams to bear down on goal with only Reid to beat, but she dragged her shot wide of the post as City survived a last-gasp scare.