Banner image

Report: Bristol City Women 2-0 Aston Villa Ladies

Millie Farrow’s brace fired Bristol City Women to the top of the WSL2 table with a 2-0 win over Aston Villa Ladies.

City’s number nine grabbed a goal in either half on her first start since dislocating her shoulder earlier in the season.

It was a scrappy opening twenty minutes for the Vixens with the away side pressing high up the pitch and forcing City into several mistakes to dominate the early stages.

This was typified by the first real chance of note, Villa harrying the home midfield into a misplaced pass before Beth Merrick broke free following a quick ball over the top, but the Villa player could only fire narrowly wide when one-on-one with Caitlin Leach.

Merrick was causing all sorts of trouble down City’s left hand side, striking well from a tight angle but finding only the grateful arms of Leach.

Millie Farrow had the Vixens' first real chance, the ball breaking to her on the edge of the box following Jodie Brett’s free kick, the Chelsea loanee jinking past the attentions of three Villa defenders before drawing a good save from the visiting ‘keeper.

Willie Kirk’s side appeared willing to soak up the Villa pressure before hitting on the break with a pacey front three of Farrow, Rosella Ayane and Olivia Fergusson worrying the Villains’ defence.

Farrow it was who opened the scoring with a freak goal in the 30th minute, her shot first hitting her marker before a ricochet off the striker’s shin saw the ball loop up over the ‘keeper and nestle safely into the back of the net.

The goal appeared to settle City, the home side controlling the rest of the half save for one half-chance, Villa’s number nine not having the required pace to break away from the Vixens' defence and firing straight at Leach from 20 yards. 1-0 to City at the break.

City’s supporters didn’t have long to wait after the break for the second, it coming from the penalty spot two minutes after the restart.

The impressive Farrow breezed past the last defender who brought her down as she looked to round the ‘keeper, the ref immediately pointing to the spot and the Villa centre-back lucky to escape with just a yellow.

Farrow confidently dispatched the penalty, sending the Villa ‘keeper the wrong way, 2-0.

Farrow almost got her hat-trick three minutes later as Olivia Fergusson, a constant menace to the Villa defence with her direct running, skipped inside Villa’s left-back but was just unable to tee up the number nine for her third goal of the game.

After a solid start to the campaign, Willie Kirk’s side are really beginning to gel, playing some wonderful one-touch passing throughout this second-half. This was a feature of their next chance with a great lay-off by Farrow on the edge of the box opening things up for Ayane who volleyed just over the bar.

Another slick piece of play saw Ayane slip Chloe Arthur in for a chance but the Villa ‘keeper was alert enough to charge down the Vixens’ playmaker.

Farrow had a fantastic chance to grab the match ball in the 75th minute, racing clear but missing the target from eight yards, although the assistant’s flag spared her blushes.

Villa’s best chances of the second-half came from corners, the first a long range volley from the edge of the box tipped over by Leach, before the Vixens ‘keeper got down well to push a firm effort away from danger.

A heavy shower storm then fell, extinguishing any lingering Villa hopes of a comeback as City held on comfortably for another win to move to the top of the table.

Player of the Game: Hayley Ladd