Banner image

Report: Bristol City Women 0-0 Sheffield FC

Bristol City Women were held to a goalless draw by Sheffield FC in a game of few chances.

City controlled the game for large parts but just couldn't create the clear cut chance their performance probably deserved.

The Vixens started brightly, not allowing their opponents to settle into any kind of rhythm with some impressive pressing from the front.

A fluid front free of Millie Farrow, Loren Dykes and Rosella Ayane began to cause Sheffield some early problems. Some good movement seeing Farrow force the corner from Chloe Arthur's lofted through ball in the fifth minute.

From the resulting corner, Grace McCatty had the first chance of the game but failed to test the keeper with a back-post header from six yards.

With the impressive Arthur dictating the pace of the game, City controlled possession in the first twenty minutes without ever finding the telling pass to carve open the nervous away side.

The Vixens best chance of creating something appeared to be down the left side with Ayane and Tatiana Pinto linking up well throughout the early stages.

Ayane came close in the 18th minute, showing some neat skill to turn her marker before her deflected long-range effort crept agonisingly wide.

As the first-half wore on and the home side's pressing slowed somewhat, Sheffield grew into the game, finding joy attacking the space behind the Vixen's fullbacks, producing a number of dangerous crosses.

The back four however dealt with everything thrown at them, protected well by player of the match Georgia Evans sitting just in front.

Scores level at half-time, 0-0.

City's best chance of the game then fell to Pinto in the 53rd minute, who struck weakly into the keepers arms when well-placed at the back post.

An excellent turn and run from Farrow drew a rash challenge from a Sheffield defender, in an extremely dangerous position just outside the box. Ayane however could only manage to fire the free-kick straight against the wall.

Dykes then reacted well to a deflected cross but was unable to direct her header goal-wards as the Vixens began to exert more pressure.

Any momentum the home side had built up was quashed in the 71st minute however as the industrious Farrow was taken off in some pain with her arm in a sling following a coming together in the centre circle.

Sheffield appeared happy to soak up the pressure and try to hit on the break in the second half, a tactic you get the feeling City will need to get used to countering.

Grace McCatty had two late chances to win the game for City, first nipping in front of the keeper to get her head to the ball. Getting somewhat underneath the ball she was unable to direct the ball goal-wards, the ball heading out harmlessly for a goal kick.

The Vixens stalwart then had a goal-bound header from a late corner cleared away from the six-yard box by the resolute away defence.

There was almost a sting in the tail for the Vixens, as Sheffield's number 10, Carla Ward, missed her kick from ten yards, when any kind of connection would have seen mayhem in the home box.

An extended period of injury time continued with neither goalkeeper tested as the game ended goalless.

City Women now have almost a full month to prepare for their next WSL2 game away to London Bees on Sunday, April 24th.