Banner image

Report: Bristol City Under-23s 0-0 Dundee FC

City's Under-23s dominated possession throughout the fixture, and used the ball to their advantage to cut open the Dundee defence multiple times. However a failure to convert their chances saw the game finish goalless.

Dowling created the first opportunity of the game, floating a corner to the back post where Parsons leapt above his marker to meet the ball. Parsons was inches away from giving City an early lead, watching his header go agonisingly over.

City kept the ball well for a sustained period of time in the first half, but were struggling to penetrate a strong Dundee back line. Morton, in the 25th minute, turned his man in midfield and clipped and incisive ball over the top for Edwards. But unfortunately his blistering pace wasn't enough for him to beat the keeper to the ball.

Dundee started to grow in to the game, using their target man up front to launch counter attacks. A break in the 30th minute ended with Dowling bringing his man down 25 yards from goal. The free kick dipped over the wall and looked destined for the back of the net, But Sesay clawed it away to keep his clean sheet in tact.

Parsons stepped out of defence and got tight to his man, but was adjudged to have fouled him. Dundee capitalised on Parsons being out of position and, with a quick free kick, threaded the ball through his position to put the forward through on goal. Sesay was quick off his line to cut down the angle and produced another top save, diving down to his right.

The teams went in to the break with the scoreline goal less.

Jonny Smith made a rapid start to the second half, breaking through multiple challenges wide on the right to make his way in to the area. He stabbed the ball goal wards but the keeper was equal to it.

Morton was next to test the keeper, reading the game well and picking the ball up from a loose touch and stinging the keepers palms from 30 yards.

Marcus Day, a half time substitute, picked out Akpobire in the area, however Akpobire was being held so was unable to make a clean connection with the ball to really test the keeper.

Bristol City’s intricate play was becoming too much for Dundee, with all the traffic going one way for 20 minutes. Dowling and Edwards worked the ball down the right, with Edwards dropping inside to receive. Akpobire made a great run past the defence but Edwards’ through ball was too soft.

Cam Allen, who came on in the 71st minute, was the beneficiary of City’s good pressing. The ball broke for him in the opposition half, he drove at the defence producing step overs to beat his man but his effort on goal was tame and the keeper gathered easily.

Another man to come on in the 71st minute was Vince Harper, who potentially had the best chance of the game. He broke past the defence and bundled through the keepers challenge. The goal was beckoning but the Dundee defence recovered and put enough pressure on him to put the ball over.

Overall City bossed a tough game against an experienced Dundee side, and can take plenty of positives from the game.

Bristol City Under-23s Line up: Sesay; A.Harper (Davies, 71), Baldwin, Parsons (H.Smith, 45), Nurse (Ali, 71); Edwards (Rees, 71), Dowling (Richards, 71), Morton (Lemonheigh-Evans, 71), J.Smith (V.Harper, 71); Andrews (Day, 45); Akpobire (Allen, 71).