Banner image

Report: Bristol City U23s 3-2 Bristol Rovers U23s

Luke Williams' development squad overturned a 2-0 deficit with a stunning second-half comeback to win 3-2 against Bristol Rovers.

It was a derby which lived up its history with two penalties and a red card all on show for the Central League Cup fixture at Weston-super-Mare's Woodspring Stadium.

Rovers raced into a 2-0 half-time lead, before a stunning fightback in the final 15 minutes of the tie saw City walk away with a remarkable victory.

City looked to settle quickly but struggled to create any clear-cut chances before Rovers went ahead. The ball was worked well down the left before being crossed to the centre where Cameron Ebbutt was waiting to convert.

City almost levelled shortly after as Rovers keeper Thom Tonkerman watched an awkward Cameron Hargreaves header roll just wide of his own post.

But the Gas doubled their lead with a brilliant strike as the first half unfolded. Luke Russe's long-range drive was struck from around 30 yards proved unstoppable, leaving City with work to do in the second half.

The Pirates almost grabbed a third but Jojo Wollacott clawed away an audacious goal-bound lob.

City were then handed a penalty after Jake Andrews was fouled in the box. He stepped up to take responsibility but smashed the resultant spot-kick well over the bar.

It felt like it would be one of those nights for the young Robins but Aaron Parsons sparked the fightback after he bundled the ball into the net from a corner.

The comeback was on for City and referee Craig Simpson sent off Alfie Kilgour for a deliberate handball in the box. This time Connor Lemonheigh-Evans was handled the responsibility from 12 yards and duly converted the penalty to equalise.

With just four minutes left of normal time, Andrews rose tallest to nod City in front for the first time from a corner.

But there was still time for more drama. Rovers could and probably should have levelled late on but Wollacott spread himself low to make a great one-on-one save at the death, as City held on for their second win the cup.

City Under-23s: Wollacott, Parsons, Nurse (Pring), Bakinson, Platovic, Baldwin, Akpobire, Lemonheigh-Evans, Allen (Day), Andrews, Holden. Subs not used: O'Leary, Turner-Williams, Smith.