Banner image

Report: Bristol City U23s 0-0 QPR U23s

City Under-23s and their QPR counterparts cancelled each other out in a goalless stalemate at Ashton Gate.

With no Korey Smith or Adam Matthews this week, City’s entire squad had a total of five first-team appearances between them. 

They had chances, namely through Diego De Girolamo in the first half, but also had to determination to hold firm during a strong finish from the visitors, with Ivan Lucic on top form. 

QPR had the first chance of the game after just two minutes as Axel Prohouly galloped down the right and slid a low cross along the six-yard box. With Brandon Adams looking sure to score at the back post, Kodi Lyons-Foster produced a brilliant early goal-saving tackle. 

But City responded well and almost forged in front when Charlie Harris’ cross was flicked on by Jake Andrews into the path of Shawn McCoulsky, but uncharacteristically the in-form front man hooked his attempt from eight yards narrowly over the top. 

Diego De Girolamo was proving a constant menace in behind the strikers and he saw a curling left-foot free kick drift narrowly over before twice being denied by last-ditch blocks. 

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans had charged down a clearance from QPR’s keeper and that presented De Girolamo with a great chance ten yards out. The Italian youth international’s first shot was blocked by one defender, before his follow up was also deflected away. 

At the other end Ivan Lucic kept out a stinging drive from Jeremy Arthur on the angle. 

After half-time Lemonheigh-Evans tested Timothy Seny Dieng from distance with a dipping shot, before Harris produced another great challenge to keep substitute Dan Darbyshire at bay. 

Dowling’s 25-yard effort squirmed out of the grasp of Seny Dieng with 20 minutes left, but the QPR recovered just in time as McCoulsky looked poised to stab in the rebound. 

Lucic was then called into action as Darbyshire again found space in the area but was unable to beat the Austrian at his near post. 

Chances were beginning to fall QPR’s way and Lucic did well to keep out Eberechi Eza’s drive which deflected off Lyons-Foster and almost wrong-footed him. 

Darbyshire had another chance with nine minutes remaining as Prohouly fired a low ball along the six-yard box and the substitute skied his effort under pressure from Lyons-Foster. 

A late double save from Seny Dieng kept out quick-fire attempts from George Nurse and then McCoulsky. 

But the final stops came from Lucic again, this time denying Hoops skipper Prohouly with his legs at the back post and then with a stunning one-handed save. 

City Under-23s: Lucic, Harris, Lyons-Foster, Kelly, Harper. Lemonheigh-Evans, Morrell (Dowling 19), De Girolamo, McNulty (Nurse 46), McCoulsky, Andrews (Omofe 70). Subs not used: Wollacott, Harvey Smith.