Banner image

Report: Bristol City U18s 0-2 Aston Villa U18s

Two goals in three minutes saw Aston Villa oust City Under-18s from the FA Youth Cup at Ashton Gate.

Jordan Cox and Jack Clarke did the damage at the back end of the first half, while City's best opportunity came just before the quick-fire brace when George Dowling's speculative free kick hit the woodwork. 

Villa arrived as favourites in this third round tie, given their Category One status. However, chances were few and far between as both sides sussed each other out in the opening 20 minutes on a cold night in BS3. 

Dowling's corner almost caught out Villa keeper Viktor Johansson, who was thankful to Mitchell Clark for a goal-saving clearance at the back post. 

Substitute Jayden Ali, on for injury victim Opi Edwards after just 15 minutes, lashed a shot straight at the visiting keeper soon after. 

City continued in the ascendancy as Ricardo Rees ran clear down the left flank and crossed for Kel Akpobire. It looked the ideal chance to break the deadlock, but the City striker misjudged his close-range header. 

On 35 minutes Dowling spotted goalkeeper Johansson advanced at a wide free kick and  attempted an ambitious 30-yard curler. It almost panned out perfectly for the youngster with two first team appearances to his name, only for the ball to rebound away off the bar. 

The scare seemed to kick Villa into gear and they should have scored when captain Kelsey Mooney found space inside the area, but he fluffed his lines with a tame shot straight at James Carey. 

However, there was no such mistake from Cox a minute later as he raced into the area and unleashed an unstoppable left-foot shot into the top far corner. 

Things went from bad to worse when Clark's right-wing cross was headed back across goal by Cox for Clarke to turn in at the back post. 

In the second half Lloyd Kelly had to be alert to deny Mooney yards from his own goal-line after good work down the left by the ever-dangerous Cox. 

Mooney then fired over after being set up by Clarke, before Rees stung the palms of Johansson with a low effort at the other end. 

Carey produced a brilliant save to keep out Jake Turner-Hayes' curling free kick at the death. 

Then, with almost the last kick of the game, Kelly's floated cross clipped the crossbar. It was the closest the home team would come to a second-half consolation. 

City U18s: Carey, Richards, Kelly, Reeves, Turner, Parsons, Edwards (Ali), Dowling, Rees, Akpobire, Nurse (Harper).