• English Football League - Championship
  • Sunday, October 27th 2019
  • Ashton Gate
Club Badge Bristol City 2
Club Badge Wigan Athletic 2

Match Report

James Crawley

James Crawley reports from Ashton Gate

Posted Sunday, October 27th 2019

Banner image

Report: Bristol City 2-2 Wigan

A Pedro Pereira header stretched City’s run at home to six games unbeaten as they battled back to draw 2-2 with Wigan Athletic.

Andreas Weimann’s fifth goal of the season had got City up and running at Ashton Gate but a Cheyenne Dunkley double threatened an early Halloween nightmare.

But up stepped the Robins’ right-back, on loan from Benfica, with City’s second late goal in as many games - a treat for the home fans with a very important goal.

A combination of fine goalkeeping and the crossbar denied Weimann his secod goal of the game, and what would have been a late winner, but the share of the points means City go one point behind second spot in the Championship standings.

Striker Rodri was handed his first Robins start and was one of three changes for the visit of the Latics. Nathan Baker and Kasey Palmer also returned with Niclas Eliasson, Han-Noah Massengo and Antoine Semenyo all rested on the bench. There would be no place for Famara Diédhiou though who served the first of a three-match suspension.

City were enjoying lots of the ball early on but weren’t really carving open the opposition. Meanwhile the Latics brought little threat in the opening exchanges, though Daniel Bentley had two comfortable saves to make from captain Sam Morsy and Cedric Kipre.

The Robins came within a whisker of opening the deadlock though when Kasey Palmer’s low pass into the box caught everyone out by surprise but in the end the ball trickled inches wide of the post.

Weimann then went close with a header after great work from Callum O’Dowda saw City surge forward. He picked out Pereira in space to the right who cut inside before clipping a perfect cross onto the forehead of Weimann but the Austrian’s header was placed straight into the hands of the grateful of David Marshall.

But Weimann made no mistake as he gave City the lead six minutes from the end of the first half, though it was almost courtesy of debutant Rodri. The Spaniard attempted an acrobatic shot which was blocked by a close-range defender and Tommy Rowe kept the chance alive as he picked out Weimann who buried the ball to the left of the Wigan keeper.

However, Wigan were level just before the break from a corner as Dunkley hammered in the visitors’ equaliser in front of the Atyeo Stand.

Lee Johnson made on change at half-time with Eliasson on for Taylor Moore as City looked for more width, but it was in the middle of the park where they almost lost out when O’Dowda gifted Wigan possession who charged forward with Jamal Lowe but his shot sailed wide.

City may have got away with that one but moments later were behind. The goal came from another corner and again it was Dunkley who dealt the damage, getting enough power on his header and the ball squirmed under Bentley.

The goal sparked a double change from City as Massengo and Sammie Szmodics looked to add to the midfield, while Palmer and Rodri made way.

However, City would have been further behind but for a terrific save from the fully-stretched Bentley. Kieffer Moore picked out the unmarked run of Gavin Massey who was one-on-one with the City shotstopper. He had an option to his left but Massey wanted the glory though Bentley stood firm, expanded his frame and blocked the shot.

In front and growing in confidence, Wigan looked to see the game out: Kal Naismith headed straight at Bentley and Lewis Macleod blazed shots off target as Wigan looked like they would hold on to their lead with the minutes ticking by.

But City had other ideas, and while they didn’t leave it as late on this occasion, the Robins were all square with four minutes of regular time remaining. And it came from a corner of their own, as Eliasson’s delivery found Pereira towards the front post, who glanced the ball into the net from an angle.

Now the crowd were on their feet and with BS3 bouncing, the Robins looked for a winner which almost fell to Weimann, who saw a shot kept out by both Marshall’s block and the upright before the Latics cleared the danger to hold on to a share of the points.

City now prepare for back-to-back away games versus Barnsley and Cardiff City.

Bristol City

Weimann (39') , Pedro Pereira (86')
Taylor Moore, Kasey Palmer, Rodri

Wigan Athletic

Dunkley (44') , Dunkley (53')
Joe Williams, Gavin Massey
  • KO: 1:30PM
  • Att: 22246
  • Venue: Ashton Gate
  • Ref: John Brooks

Bristol City

  • 1 Daniel Bentley
  • 6 Nathan Baker
  • 23 Taylor Moore
  • 29 Ashley Williams
  • 32 Pedro Pereira
  • 8 Josh Brownhill
  • 25 Tommy Rowe
  • 45 Kasey Palmer
  • 11 Callum O'Dowda
  • 31 Rodri
  • 14 Andreas Weimann


  • 17 Sammie Szmodics
  • 19 Niclas Eliasson
  • 5 Bailey Wright
  • 15 Marley Watkins
  • 42 Han-Noah Massengo
  • 33 Niki Mäenpää
  • 18 Antoine Semenyo

Wigan Athletic

  • 1 David Marshall
  • 22 Cheyenne Dunkley
  • 21 Cedric Kipre
  • 3 Antonee Robinson
  • 15 Dujon Sterling
  • 5 Sam Morsy
  • 20 Joe Williams
  • 4 Lewis MacLeod
  • 19 Kieffer Moore
  • 11 Gavin Massey
  • 9 Jamal Lowe


  • 14 Joe Garner
  • 7 Anthony Pilkington
  • 33 Kal Naismith
  • 17 Michael Jacobs
  • 38 Joe Gelhardt
  • 2 Nathan Byrne
  • 23 Jamie Jones

Match Overview


Bristol City

  • Pedro Pereira
  • ,
  • Andreas Weimann

Wigan Athletic

  • Cheyenne Dunkley (2)

Line Up

Bristol City

  • Bentley, Baker, Moore, Williams, Pedro Pereira, Brownhill, Rowe, Palmer, O'Dowda, Rodri, Weimann

Wigan Athletic

  • Marshall, Dunkley, Kipre, Robinson, Sterling, Sam Morsy, Williams, MacLeod, Moore, Massey, Lowe