Banner image

Report: Bristol City 2-1 Bolton Wanderers

Callum O’Dowda and Niclas Eliasson fired City into the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round with first-half goals.

After falling behind to a Mark Beevers goal after just six minutes, the Robins bounced back when Republic of Ireland international O’Dowda lashed a left-footed shot past Bolton keeper Remi Matthews.

City upped the tempo with Kasey Palmer and Joe Morrell driving through the middle and they got their reward after 33 minutes when O’Dowda made the break, Famara Diédhioulaid the ball off to Eliasson and the Swede cut in before beating Matthews with a shot into the top corner.

The victory sends the Robins into Monday’s draw for the Fifth Round with ties to be played on the weekend of February 16th-17th.

Palmer, who started his first game for City since his loan move from Chelsea, had a lively 75 minutes including hitting the post with a free-kick.

He was joined in the midfield by Joe Morrell, equally as impressive as in the Third Round victory over Huddersfield Town, while club captain Bailey Wright and Niclas Eliasson were also in the XI.

City fell behind after just six minutes when Luca Connell’s cross was met by the unmarked Beevers who easily shot past Fielding but two minutes later O’Dowda controlled a through ball and beat Matthews.

Morrell almost gave City the lead when Palmer stormed through the middle, laid the ball off right and the Welsh Under-21 midfielder’s shot was pushed wide by Matthews.

Eliasson did make it 2-1 when O’Dowda made the break and Diédhioulaid the ball off to the Swede for his second goal of the season.

Diedhiou found the net but was just offside and there was a further chance for Morrell, who drove into the box and forced Matthews to parry.

City started the second half brightly with Eliasson whipping a cross which Dasilva and Diédhiou couldn’t capitalise on and Palmer’s shot being saved by Matthews.

Palmer hit the post with a free-kick from outside the box and then drove past two defenders but shot into the side-netting.

Fielding was forced into a near-post save from Olkowski and Tomas Kalas headed a cross out to safety.

There was still time for O’Dowda to break clear but his shot was blocked as City closed out the victory to continue their 12-game unbeaten run.