Banner image


James Crawley


Posted Saturday, July 13th 2019

Report: Bristol City 1 Derby County 0 (Game 1)

Bristol City ended their abandoned match 1-0 up after Famara Diédhiou's goal. 

After a warning siren forced the teams off in the 15th minute and then the game was called off following torrential rain the 45th minute, a re-match was scheduled for tomorrow.

City made a lighting start – in every sense of the word – and took an early lead through Diédhiou before thunder and lightning struck the area shortly into the first half, halting play.

Watch again: The livestream BCTV show

The Robins picked up where they left off once the fixture resumed, but the rain soon lashed down and the referee made the decision to bring game to an unexpected end at the break.

City had looked bright before then, with Josh Brownhill firing just wide and Jack Hunt getting in at the far post following a moment of brilliance from Sammie Szmodics, all before Diédhiou pounced inside the seventh minute.

Tommy Rowe did well to pick up a loose pass and he slipped the ball into the Robins striker. Diédhiou looked to have done too much as he battled to keep possession, wriggling into the Derby penalty area but he quickly shifted the ball on to his left foot and placed the ball into the far corner.

The game was soon suspended, with local thunder and lightning pausing what had been an encouraging first 15 minutes for Lee Johnson’s men.

Both sides were soon out to warm-up and City were back in control when the game eventually restarted. Taylor Moore was the only change during the forced break, with Tomas Kalas substituted after suffering a dead leg..

Going forward the Robins, in their new home red kit, remained a threat and only a goal-line clearance denied Hunt, who had combined well with the brilliant Szmodics, while Weimann almost grabbed a goal against his former club, only to head the ball wide.

As for Phillip Cocu’s side, the Rams’ chances were minimal with Daniel Bentley, making his first appearance in a City shirt, kept quiet. Martyn Waghorn and Jason Knight went closest but neither player could find the target.

But the earlier stormy conditions had refused to shift, with the rain and wind turning heavier, ultimately bringing the game to an end at what would have been its halfway stage.

After tomorrow's fixture, City will continue their pre-season training regime and face Sarasota Metropolis in a friendly next Friday (July 19th, 11am EDT KO, 4pm BST).