Banner image


James Crawley


Posted Friday, July 27th 2018

Report: Bristol City 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (pre-season)

A first Ashton Gate goal for Andreas Weimann helped an impressive City to a 1-1 draw against their Premier League opponents under the BS3 lights.

Once again, Lee Johnson's side proved themselves more than a match for a top-tier side, although AFC Bournemouth did take a first-half lead through Joshua King.

However, City rallied and Weimann pounced at the back post to earn City a draw in their final pre-season outing.

The home side pressed the Cherries and could have scored a second-half winner but for better luck on the night.

Keeper Max O’Leary, who recently put pen to paper on a new City contract, started between the sticks while Niclas Eliasson earned another start following his impressive pre-season and Marlon Pack, himself fresh from signing a new deal, started in midfield against an Eddie Howe side with vast Premier League experience.

City’s young shot-stopper was the first to be called into action when he showed amazingly quick reactions to deny Jermain Defoe from close range. Winger Jordon Ibe swept the ball across goal where striker Defoe, around four yards out, looked destined to score with a first-time effort but for the alert O’Leary who pushed the ball away.

City soon settled and Joe Bryan saw the home side’s first effort on goal but he dragged his shot wide. Sweden winger Eliasson was next to have a go but he couldn’t keep the ball under Asmir Begovic’s goal.

The away side took the lead though due to Joshua King’s strike, which proved too powerful for O’Leary. The Bournemouth forward worked himself into some space before firing past the diving City keeper, who looked to have got a hand to the ball but could do little to keep it out of the net.

Joe Bryan gets forward


If anything City looked even more geared up after falling behind and they had a number of chances to equalise. Paterson struck inches wide after a fine solo run from his own half, before Weimann’s overhead attempt - Begovic looked a little concerned in the Cherries goal at first but the ball landed off target.

Nathan Baker was next to go close from an Eliasson corner as he climbed above his marker but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

The City equaliser came courtesy of Weimann’s first Ashton Gate goal, less than 10 minutes from the break. Jack Hunt sent in a deep cross from the right wing to find the unmarked Paterson. The City number 20 clipped the ball back towards Weimann at the far post and the former Derby County striker blasted the ball into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

The hosts almost went ahead through an own goal when Brad Smith only just drilled the ball out for a corner. Bryan had flashed a cross into the Cherries penalty area and Smith poked the ball narrowly wide of his own net for a City corner kick, which proved to be the last major action of the first half.

Weimann is congratulated as he celebrates his goal

Korey Smith entered the fray for the start of the second half, in place of Matty Taylor; Lee Johnson’s only half-time change.

Like the first half, it was the visitors went closest and Defoe was almost played through one-on-one but for a well-timed challenge from Bryan. The left-back caused himself discomfort in the process before he was forced off and replaced by Eros Pisano.

It wasn’t long before City found themselves back on the attack though and Weimann almost turned provider when his cushioned header found Brownhill lurking on the edge of the area. The midfielder set himself up for the volley which was blocked for a corner.

And Weimann almost grabbed his second of the evening as he latched on to an Eliasson cross. He was unmarked at the back post but the Austrian's guided header would only roll inches wide of the far corner. That would prove to be this final involvement as he was replaced by fellow new signing, Mo Eisa.


The young City forward caused problems for the Premier League side almost immediately as he forced Begovic into a diving save before striking another shot into the keeper’s body just minutes later.

City continued to press for a late winner, as did Howe's side but Miahi Dobre couldn't keep his shot down as he raced on to King's through ball towards the end.

The full-time whistle shortly followed, not only bringing an end to the match but concluding City's pre-season too.

City host Nottingham Forest in the 2018/19 Sky Bet Championship opener next Saturday (August 4th, 3pm kick-off).


Bristol City: O'Leary, Hunt (Pring 67), Baker, Webster, Bryan (Pisano 53), Paterson (Eisa 67), Pack (Walsh 76), Brownhill, Eliasson, Taylor (K Smith 46), Weimann (Diédhiou 67). Subs not used: Wollacott, Hegeler, Djuric.

AFC Bournemouth: Begovic, A Smith, Mings, S Cook, B Smith, Pugh, L Cook, Surman, Ibe, King, Defoe. Subs: Travers, Hobson, Ofoborh, Worthington, Mahoney, Surridge, Dobre.