Banner image

Report: Brislington / Keynsham Town 0-5 Bristol City

Bristol City kicked off pre-season with a 5-0 victory over Brislington and Keynsham Town in the annual Community Match.

Korey Smith bagged a brace, while Bobby Reid, Marlon Pack – from the penalty spot – and youngster Ash Harper completed the scoring.

In a stadium packed full of families, it was local side and hosts Brislington who took on City in the first half.

Understandably it was Steve Cotterill’s team who started the brighter in their first outing since the conclusion of the double-winning 2014/15 campaign.

Aaron Wilbraham, Aden Flint and Scott Wagstaff all had early opportunities blocked out from some resolute home defending.

City made the breakthrough with ten minutes on the clock, albeit with a helping hand from goalkeeper Chris Humphries. Smith’s shot from 25 yards was tame but somehow squirmed from the grasp of the red-faced stopper and agonisingly over the line.

Reid made it two moments later, rounding off a sweeping move involving Luke Freeman and Wilbraham with a crisp left-foot finish from 18 yards.

Flint should have added a third before long but in a rare occurrence his radar was off when heading wide from Freeman’s pinpoint free kick to the back stick.

After Wagstaff’s ferocious shot was blocked by a hand en route to goal, Pack fired the resultant penalty kick under Humphries to make it 3-0 with 23 minutes gone.

Smith’s second and City’s fourth came before the half hour. Wilbraham again became the provider, rolling the ball into the path of the midfielder to calmly place his finish low into the far corner.

From then on the goal-fest began to halt, mainly due to some impressive saves from replacement goalkeeper Liam McFarlane.

Wilbraham twice saw headed efforts kept out by McFarlane’s legs, while in between Reid rattled the crossbar with a shot from just eight yards out.

Boss Cotterill fielded a different XI in the second half when Keynsham were the opponents.

Chances were few and far between, with Tom Fry lofting a speculative effort over the top from distance, before the award of another spot-kick for the Championship newcomers.

Wes Burns was hauled down in the area when rounding goalkeeper Ashley Wintle but the Keynsham stopper made amends by keeping out the striker’s penalty kick with his legs.

Burns later headed over from six yards and Joe Bryan teased a shot into Wintle’s arms from distance as City pressed.

But it was left for Harper to put the seal on it with a fifth goal in stoppage time. the Academy graduate ran clear down the right-hand side, galloped on into the penalty area and lashed a shot inside in the near post with aplomb.

City (first half): O'Leary, Ayling, Flint, Kelly, Wagstaff, Pack, Smith, Cunningham, Freeman, Wilbraham, Reid.
City (second half): Wollacott, Vyner, El-Abd, Williams, Bryan, Last (Dowling 72), Morrell, Murphy, Fry, Burns, Andrews (Harper 72).

Attendance: 1,312.