• English Football League - Championship
  • Sunday, October 7th 2018
  • Ashton Gate
Club Badge Bristol City 1
Club Badge Sheffield Wednesday 2

Match Report

James Crawley

James Crawley reports from Ashton Gate

Posted Sunday, October 7th 2018

Banner image

Report: Bristol City 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday

City's dominance proved not to be enough as two goals in as many minutes helped Sheffield Wednesday to a 2-1 win at Ashton Gate.

There were strong calls for offside with Lucas João’s’ first, but he rifled past Niki Mäenpää for Wednesday’s second only minutes later.

Matty Taylor halved the scores when he dispatched a confident penalty but Lee Johnson’s side couldn’t force a late equaliser.

City had their chances, notably Lloyd Kelly striking the post and Famara Diédhiou forcing a close-range save from Cameron Dawson, when one-on-one in the first half.

The Robins remained confident with the scores even at the break but the Owls looked to take the sails out of their winds with two goals in as many minutes, before City tried to fight back late on.

Johnson named three changes to his starting XI with returns for Taylor and Jamie Paterson, as well as Chelsea loanee Jay Dasilva.

And the home side enjoyed more of the play in the early exchanges, underneath the October sunshine, after Niki Mäenpää came to the rescue to prevent an early scare.

They were the first to cause trouble when Barry Bannan found the run of Adam Reach. Kelly was beaten by the flight of the ball, but Mäenpää was off his line in a flash to stop the Sheffield Wednesday man’s shot when one-on-one.


At the other end, City had a great chance to open the scoring themselves when Diédhiou found himself in acres of space with only Cameron Dawson to beat. Josh Brownhill’s deflected pass pinged its way invitingly into the path of the Senegal striker, but his shot was blocked by the Owls keeper.

Only the post would prevent an attack-minded City afterwards as Kelly was denied with a low shot across the six-yard box, before Nathan Baker and Adam Webster saw shots blocked.

Kelly almost picked out the advancing Diédhiou with a whipped cross from the left but Dawson was quick off the blocks to clear the ball, with the shotstopper alert to keep out Paterson’s long-range effort.

Despite the home side being on top, the visitors had one final chance before the break, with Mäenpää blocking a long-range strike from Reach. The away side kept up the pressure with the resulting corner, but João glanced a header wide when he looked odds-on to nod Wednesday ahead.

The host’s pressure continued after the break though, who were eager to find a way into a higher gear. Taylor turned in the box but saw a shot blocked, with Brownhill’s follow-up effort causing the Owls no threat and Daniel Pudil was well-placed to steer the ball away when Taylor looked set to meet a teasing cross from Dasilva.


But Wednesday took the lead through a route-one pass, despite strong appeals for an offside flag. It came from long pump down field from Dawson and Baker couldn’t do enough to shield the ball from João, who was on hand to guide the ball past Mäenpää.

And City were 2-0 down moments later, when João struck again. His first shot inside the City area was blocked, but he made the most of the rebound, firing the ball beyond Mäenpää to double the Owls lead.

City were in shock but had time in their favour to prevent the game getting away from them.

Paterson went close when he made the most of Baker’s towering header but his shot went straight into the grateful arms of Dawson, before the keeper saw another effort from City’s number 20 sail wide.

Maybe a third Wednesday goal would have killed the contest and Fernando Forestieri went within an inch of guiding the ball into the City net, but he couldn’t latch onto a cross, before Brownhill blocked a close-range effort from defender Michael Hector.


City soaked up the pressure though and with substitutes Callum O’Dowda, Marley Watkins and Andreas Weimann on the field, they were soon back on the attack.

Dasilva showed his tricks to advance down the left and found O’Dowda lurking just inside the penalty area. His pass found the Republic of Ireland international who was bundled over immediately, leaving referee Andy Davies with no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped Taylor who hit the ball hard and confidently down the middle, to reduce the deficit with his second goal of the campaign.

City threw themselves forward in an effort to force an equaliser but Joh Luhukay’s side held on to claim the points.

The result sees City move to 13th in the Sky Bet Championship.

Bristol City

Taylor (80' pen)
Lloyd Kelly, Jamie Paterson, Famara Diedhiou

Sheffield Wednesday

Lucas João (64') , Lucas João (66')
Jordan Thorniley, Barry Bannan, Steven Fletcher
  • KO: 1:30PM
  • Att: 20102
  • Venue: Ashton Gate
  • Ref: Andy Davies

Bristol City

  • 33 Niki Mäenpää
  • 17 Lloyd Kelly
  • 3 Jay Dasilva
  • 32 Jack Hunt
  • 4 Adam Webster
  • 6 Nathan Baker
  • 20 Jamie Paterson
  • 21 Marlon Pack
  • 8 Josh Brownhill
  • 10 Matty Taylor
  • 9 Famara Diedhiou


  • 24 Max O'Leary
  • 15 Marley Watkins
  • 12 Liam Walsh
  • 14 Andreas Weimann
  • 13 Jens Hegeler
  • 19 Niclas Eliasson
  • 11 Callum O'Dowda

Sheffield Wednesday

  • 25 Cameron Dawson
  • 15 Tom Lees
  • 36 Daniel Pudil
  • 34 Michael Hector
  • 12 Jordan Thorniley
  • 7 Josh Onomah
  • 2 Liam Palmer
  • 10 Barry Bannan
  • 42 Matt Penney
  • 9 Steven Fletcher
  • 20 Adam Reach


  • 18 Lucas João
  • 28 Joe Wildsmith
  • 45 Fernando Forestieri
  • 24 Ashley Baker
  • 8 Joey Pelupessy
  • 17 Atdhe Nuhiu
  • 31 Connor Kirby

Match Overview


Bristol City

  • Matty Taylor

Sheffield Wednesday

  • Lucas João (2)

Line Up

Bristol City

  • Mäenpää, Kelly, Dasilva, Hunt, Webster, Baker, Paterson, Pack, Brownhill, Taylor, Diedhiou

Sheffield Wednesday

  • Dawson, Lees, Pudil, Hector, Thorniley, Onomah, Palmer, Bannan, Penney, Fletcher, Reach