Banner image

Let's learn and learn fast - Johnson

Lee Johnson says his players must “learn and learn fast” after a dominant first-half display went unrewarded in defeat at St Andrew’s.

City went 1-0 up in the very first minute when Bobby Reid found himself in the right place at the right time after Famara Diédhiou and Josh Brownhill both struck the crossbar in the same attack.

But despite being outplayed at this stage, hosts Birmingham City drew level through Craig Gardner on the half-hour before Jacques Maghoma fired home the winner 16 minutes from time.

“It’s frustrating because we certainly had the chances,” Johnson told BCTV.

“We were very good in patches; 65% of the time we were excellent, but the other 35% we were a bit naïve.

“We had quite an experienced side out today and we didn’t manage the game well enough.

“At 1-0 up we were absolutely cruising and the lads probably started to enjoy it a bit too much, which coincided with us giving a poor ball away while our crowd were giving us the ‘Olé, Olé, Olé’.

“We thought we were better than we are and we got sloppy, giving them the opportunity to launch the ball in our box (leading to the equaliser).

“That gave them something to get hold of, the crowd got behind them and everything changes.

NO CRITICISMS

Johnson added: “I don’t want to be critical of my team because I thought we were outstanding in patches.

“Birmingham are a good side who are going to dominate through physicality at times, but we’ve had the chances to get at least a draw.

“I think the fans have gone home knowing that if we play like that for the remaining 44 games we’ll win more games than we lose.

“We want to make sure our away form is really strong this year so we’ve got to learn and learn fast.”

Joe Bryan (ankle) will be assessed ahead of the game at Brentford on Tuesday after picking up a knock at St Andrew's.

EXCLUSIVE BCTV INTERVIEW

Related News

Video: Lee Johnson Post-Birmingham City away

Video: Lee Johnson Post-Birmingham City away

Posted: Saturday, August 12th 2017

Video: Bobby Reid Post-Birmingham City away

Video: Bobby Reid Post-Birmingham City away

Posted: Saturday, August 12th 2017

Video: Bobby Reid Post-Brentford away

Video: Bobby Reid Post-Brentford away

Posted: Tuesday, August 15th 2017

Latest News

Enjoy Ashton Gate hospitality at the Norwich match

Enjoy Ashton Gate hospitality at the Norwich match

Posted: Thursday, October 22nd 2020

Tinnion to feature on Robins TV this weekend

Tinnion to feature on Robins TV this weekend

Posted: Thursday, October 22nd 2020

Downsy guest on LGBT Sport Podcast

Downsy guest on LGBT Sport Podcast

Posted: Thursday, October 22nd 2020

Highlights: Bristol City 0-1 Middlesbrough

Highlights: Bristol City 0-1 Middlesbrough

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020

Also from Bristol Sport

Trio join up with England ahead of Quilter Cup clash
Rugby icon

Trio join up with England ahead of Quilter Cup clash

Ben Earl, Max Malins and Kyle Sinckler have joined up with the England squad as they prepare for the game against the Barbarians at Twickenham Stadium on Sunday.

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020 • Rugby

Bristol Sport Foundation, Feeding Bristol and Square Food Foundation Partner to Tackle Food Insecurity and Inactivity
Community icon

Bristol Sport Foundation, Feeding Bristol and Square Food Foundation Partner to Tackle Food Insecurity and Inactivity

Recently Bristol Sport Foundation (BSF) announced a new partnership with Feeding Bristol to build on the work that was started over lockdown to try to tackle food insecurity and inactivity in Bristol.

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020 • Community

An open letter from Chairman, Chris Booy
Rugby icon

An open letter from Chairman, Chris Booy

Chairman Chris Booy reflects on a memorable 2019/20 season and looks ahead to the future.

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020 • Rugby

Download Challenge Cup winners wallpaper for mobile and desktop
Rugby icon

Download Challenge Cup winners wallpaper for mobile and desktop

Download your desktop or mobile wallpaper of the Bristol Bears' Challenge Cup trophy winning squad.

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020 • Rugby

One for the history books: Mark Hoskins
Rugby icon

One for the history books: Mark Hoskins

Club historian, Mark Hoskins reflects on a memorable season for the club and where it ranks among Bristol's greatest.

Posted: Wednesday, October 21st 2020 • Rugby