Banner image

Author

James Crawley

James Crawley writes

Posted Friday, July 27th 2018

Johnson 'very pleased' by Premier League test

Lee Johnson was pleased with the application shown by his squad as they held AFC Bournemouth to a 1-1 draw at Ashton Gate.

Andreas Weimann equalised with his first goal in BS3, after the Cherries had taken the lead through Joshua King.

City looked sharp, played with tempo and threatened throughout against their Premier League opponents under the lights on Friday night; their final pre-season outing.

"I was very pleased" Johnson told bcfc.co.uk after the final whistle.

"I thought it was a good night, with a good crowd who got right behind the players. The boys looked sharp, showed nice quality with some slick passing moves and they worked extremely hard.

"Bournemouth a good side with good players who gave us problems on a couple of occasions but overall it was a very good performance from my boys tonight.

"I think 80 per cent of the players are where I want them to be [at this stage] and the other 20 per cent are those who have unfortunately picked up some niggles so they have missed out on match sharpness."

Johnson managed his side against AFC Bournemouth on Friday night

It was a night which saw the ever-impressing Niclas Eliasson shine once more down the wings, while Mo Eisa came off the bench to make his first City appearance. He made an instant impact, forcing Asmir Begovic into a good save within seconds of coming on and the crowd instantly warmed to the young striker.

"Eliasson has been excellent in pre-season and he’s come with a bold attitude," Johnson said.

"He hasn’t been timid at all. We see what he can do in training, we’ve talked about him a lot and he’s put himself right at the forefront of a potential starting place. He’s trained and played well so it is up to him to transfer that into the Championship.

"I’m delighted for Mo. He never get a second chance to make a first impression and he made a great first impression. Within 30 seconds he got a shot off and created more opportunities. He looked fit, mobile and worked hard.

"Weimann got his first goal at Ashton Gate too. He has some bits to work on but his header [in the second half] was unlucky too."

Johnson added: "We look dangerous with our speed, mobility and that bit of execution in the final pass will inevitably be all the difference between winning a game like tonight three or 4-1, or not."

The City head coach explained the next week will be focussed on tactics, "quickening the feet and working on the final execution" as his side now prepare for their 2018/19 season opener with Nottingham Forest.

"We are creating chances, we look mobile, fit, our organisation looks good and we’re looking forward to playing for real and the adrenaline of playing for three points," Johnson said.

SECURE YOUR FOREST TICKETS

Related News

Report: Bristol City 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (pre-season)

Report: Bristol City 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (pre-season)

Posted: Friday, July 27th 2018

Latest News

🎥 Lansdown salutes supporters

🎥 Lansdown salutes supporters

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022

🪶 The Robin has landed

🪶 The Robin has landed

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022

📸 GALLERY: 'The Robin' kit

📸 GALLERY: 'The Robin' kit

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022

🌟 5 years of Primary Stars

🌟 5 years of Primary Stars

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022

Also from Bristol Sport

Elton John Sunday Concert: Latest Travel Information
Stadium icon

Elton John Sunday Concert: Latest Travel Information

With just a few days to go until Elton John plays at Ashton Gate, concert-goers are urged to take advantage of special event Shuttle Buses laid on to help get fans to and from the stadium.

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022 • Stadium

Turner debuts as Junior Boks overpower England U20
Rugby icon

Turner debuts as Junior Boks overpower England U20

Andrew Turner made his England U20 debut as Alan Dickens' side were beaten 22-30 by South Africa U20 in their Six Nations Summer Series opener in Verona.

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022 • Rugby

Xledger cyclists raise £3,500 for Community Foundation
Rugby icon

Xledger cyclists raise £3,500 for Community Foundation

A team of riders from Xledger have raised £3,500 for the Community Foundation by cycling more than 350 miles in just five days.

Posted: Friday, June 24th 2022 • Rugby

Bears' Allianz Cup opponents confirmed
Rugby icon

Bears' Allianz Cup opponents confirmed

Bristol Bears will face Saracens, Loughborough Lightning, Wasps and Sale Sharks in Pool A of the 2022/23 Allianz Cup.

Posted: Thursday, June 23rd 2022 • Rugby

Turner set for England U20 debut against South Africa
Rugby icon

Turner set for England U20 debut against South Africa

Andrew Turner has named in the England U20 squad to face South Africa in the opening round of the Six Nations Under-20 Summer Series in Italy.

Posted: Thursday, June 23rd 2022 • Rugby