Banner image


James Crawley


Posted Sunday, December 24th 2017

Flint pleased with "good point" at QPR

Aden Flint described Saturday's draw with QPR as "a good point" after City showed fight and desire to falling behind.

QPR took the lead via Flint's head in the first half, but City's top scorer Bobby Reid converted a penalty ten minutes from the end to draw the away side level.

City were impressive and dominant in the second-half with the post, QPR keeper Alex Smithies and off-target attempts preventing them from taking all three points.

For City, the match came just three days after their 2-1 Carabao Cup win against Manchester United, while the hosts were fully rested.

Flint told BCTV: "We wanted to get the right result after the midweek game. We wanted to show the world that after playing Manchester United we weren't going to take our foot off the gas. We wanted to come here (Loftus Road) and get the three points.

"Unfortunately we only got the draw but I think it's a good point in the end, considering we went behind just before half-time.

"I think some of the boys were a bit tired [after the United game] but we dug in deep when we had to and it's a credit to the lads who played the other night and who played today.

"We're delighted with the point away from home because it's a good point and any point's a point...and we look forward to Boxing Day."

It had been a mostly lacklustre opening 45 minutes from City, despite a bright opening five minutes, but they can't be blamed after their inspirational display against the Premier League giants just days earlier.

When asked what head coach Lee Johnson said in the dressing room at half-time, Flint revealed: "He said to go out there and do what we are capable of and that's what we did.

"We played the ball a bit quicker, pressed higher, squeezed up the pitch and we changed shape as well. We got the goal and could have got a couple more.

"There was only one team likely to win it if the game had continued another 10 or 15 minutes - we would have snatched it."

Flinty was thrown up front to support the attack in the final 30 minutes and he was dominant every time the ball was chucked his way.

He was at the centre of a handful of penalty appeals, one of which was given in the 80th minute as he jumped for the ball among a crowd of QPR players.

He said: "I think it was a foul. I was pushed mid-air and I thought there were a couple of other penalty shouts he [the referee Andrew Madley] could have given earlier.

"Two men were marking me, bundling me over every time a throw in or a corner went in, it was ridiculous. But whether the referee gave the right one or the wrong one, who cares now?"

City return to Sky Bet Championship action when they host Reading on Boxing Day (3pm kick-off).