• English Football League - Championship
  • Friday, March 30th 2018
  • Oakwell
Club Badge Barnsley 2
Club Badge Bristol City 2

Match Report

James Crawley

James Crawley reports from Oakwell

Posted Friday, March 30th 2018

Banner image

Report: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

Josh Brownhill’s late looping header ensured a share of the points against his former club.

Barnsley raced into an early lead through Kieffer Moore’s header moments after controversial calls for Bailey Wright to be shown a red card at a chilly Oakwell.

However, City continued with 11 men and Famara Diédhiou’s screamer from the edge of the box kept City in the game.

Brad Potts tapped the hosts ahead late on but there was still time for Brownhill to guide a looping header to make the score 2-2 at the death.

The result leaves City seventh in the Sky Bet Championship.


Nathan Baker had recovered from a groin strain and Joe Bryan was back after serving his two-game suspension in Lee Johnson’s two starting XI changes. Their introductions meant Lloyd Kelly was rested on the bench, while Hordur Magnusson missed out through injury.

Barnsley were quick to get the game going and the match wasn’t without its controversy in the early stages. Moore beat Wright to a header and tumbled to the ground as he collided after attempting to burst away from the City skipper.

The home crowd appealed for a red card, instead referee David Webb brandished the yellow to the Australian defender.


And Barnsley took a seventh-minute lead after winning a corner from the resulting free kick, as Moore rose highest to nod home George Moncur’s delivery.

Fielding stood his ground to deny Moore from extending the Tykes’ lead while at the other end, Reid’s shot on the turn was blocked before a flying header cleared Paterson’s wicked cross away from danger.

City always looked like they could get back on track at Oakwell and Brownhill almost fired the Robins level with a superb solo effort. The number eight controlled a cross-field pass before beating his marker and chipping the ball over another defender but Barnsley showstopper Adam Davies made a vital save when the shot came.

Top bins: Diédhiou unleashes an unstoppable strike


Johnson’s side were not to be denied moments later however, as Diédhiou struck a glorious effort which sailed into the top corner. Marlon Pack played a delightful diagonal ball to the Senegalese frontman, who made no mistake in curling the ball into the top corner after cutting inside.

Barnsley remained a threat themselves before the first-half whistle came, as Moncur curled an effort of his own narrowly wide of Fielding’s far post before the City keeper made a comfortable save to stop McBurnie’s tame finish from close range.

Barnsley were fast out of the blocks after the restart too, but the heroic Fielding pounced on the ball as Potts looked destined to have turned home Moncur’s delivery, which managed to evade every City shirt in the box.

Andy Yiadom tried his luck just minutes later as he trickled his way to the edge of the area but mis-fired high and wide when he pulled the trigger.

Barnsley again went agonisingly close to restoring their lead but again the superb Fielding stood firm to deny Moore one-on-one, as the striker raced on to a long through ball. The City keeper was then in the right place at the right time as he held on to the forward’s powerful header from the resulting corner.

The pendulum was starting to swing in favour of the Tykes, but City were withholding the pressure while the home crowd began to roar on their relegation-threatened club.

The atmosphere was just starting to boil up inside Oakwell as the travelling Robins soon created pressure of their own, albeit without creating anything concrete in attack.


And the Tykes dealt a second blow when Potts struck 12 minutes from the end. Moore darted forward down the left and his low cross was met by the on-rushing, unmarked Potts, who struck first time beyond Fielding.

The brilliant Brownhill heads City level again

But both sides have points to play for at differing ends of the table and Brownhill guided a brilliant looping header to earn City a share of the spoils.

It came from Bryan’s pass and the former Barnsley midfielder looped the ball into the far corner with a header, despite the efforts of the stretching Davies.

Potts fizzed over the bar as Barnsley attempted a late winner but City held on to claim the point.

They next host Brentford at Ashton Gate on Easter Monday (3pm kick-off).

Click here to secure your tickets


Moore (7') , Potts (78')
George Moncur, Lloyd Isgrove, Kieffer Moore

Bristol City

Diedhiou (31') , Brownhill (91')
Marlon Pack, Jamie Paterson
  • KO: 3PM
  • Att: 12236
  • Venue: Oakwell
  • Ref: David Webb


  • 1 Adam Davies
  • 6 Liam Lindsay
  • 18 Adam Jackson
  • 17 Andy Yiadom
  • 3 Ezekiel Fryers
  • 20 Brad Potts
  • 22 Gary Gardner
  • 10 George Moncur
  • 11 Lloyd Isgrove
  • 19 Kieffer Moore
  • 15 Oliver McBurnie


  • 30 Jack Walton
  • 16 Ethan Pinnock
  • 7 Adam Hammill
  • 9 Tom Bradshaw
  • 4 Joe Williams
  • 21 Connor Mahoney
  • 2 Jason McCarthy

Bristol City

  • 1 Frank Fielding
  • 6 Nathan Baker
  • 3 Joe Bryan
  • 5 Bailey Wright
  • 2 Eros Pisano
  • 21 Marlon Pack
  • 20 Jamie Paterson
  • 8 Josh Brownhill
  • 7 Korey Smith
  • 9 Famara Diedhiou
  • 14 Bobby Reid


  • 39 Lois Diony
  • 25 Lloyd Kelly
  • 22 Milan Djuric
  • 40 Ryan Kent
  • 12 Liam Walsh
  • 31 Jens Hegeler
  • 15 Luke Steele

Match Overview



  • Brad Potts
  • ,
  • Kieffer Moore

Bristol City

  • Josh Brownhill
  • ,
  • Famara Diedhiou

Line Up


  • Davies, Lindsay, Jackson, Yiadom, Fryers, Potts, Gary Gardner, Moncur, Isgrove, Moore, McBurnie

Bristol City

  • Fielding, Baker, Bryan, Wright, Pisano, Pack, Paterson, Brownhill, Smith, Diedhiou, Reid